The Leah S. Robins Memorial Methodist Church, as it was originally named, began on November 20, 1909 when members of the Summerdale community organized a Sunday School in the Cherry Grove Schoolhouse located across the street from today’s church. The church is as old as the town itself.
On April 1, 1910 ground was broken where the new building would take form. Many renovations and additions took place during the twentieth century, including rest rooms, a choir, social rooms, kitchen,Christian education section and church office and a parsonage in March of 1957.
In 1966 the church name was changed to Summerdale United Methodist Church.